Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Why did I create this blog?

May 3rd, 2011


Welcome.  I've created this blog so friends, family, and anyone I meet along the way can follow my progress on my three month trip around the USA and parts of Canada. 

It's been a dream of mine to take a trip like this on a motorcyle, and now that dream will be realized.  My noble steed is a 2007 Harley Davdison Street Glide.  I've named it Clyde.  Clyde the Street Glide. 

I've spent the last couple of months preparing for this trip.  First, I looked at a map and thought about where I wanted to go.  I couldn't decide, so I gave my self a goal.  The goal is to touch the four corners of the lower 48 states in three months, on two wheels, riding solo.  

After making a list, checking everything off that list, then thinking of things I forgot and making new lists and checking those things off, I have another list of things to finish today before I set out tomorrow. 

A bit of business: 
On the right, you'll see a section that says Support Cancer Research.  The first link is to the Ryan Waldheger Research Memorial.  Ryan was a truly inspirational friend of mine that after many hard fought battles with Leukemia, passed away at the age of 28.  Please read his story and donate what you can to his Research Memorial.

The second link is to sponsor my brother, Kevin, in a bicycle ride called Pelotonia to raise money for cancer research.  This is the third year my brother has participated in this event, and I'm hoping with your help, we get him the most sponsorship money he's raised to date.  My brother participates in this ride because our father bravely battled and beat cancer in 2007.  Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with another form of cancer late in 2010, and passed away this January.   

I put these links on here becuase I'm not just riding for me, but riding for my dad, and all those who have had to deal with that terrible disease.  He'll be with me in spirit seeing all the sites of this country he loved so much.  

I hope you enjoy this blog!  Tomorrow I am off to Chicago, the first stop on my 12,000 mile journey through 20 some states and parts of Canada!

7 comments:

  1. How amazing, Dan! I can't wait to read about your adventure! Be safe and enjoy this incredible journey!

    Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great first entry! Excited to read more (but don't forget to call either)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Dan, I'll be there in spirit as well on your ride^^ Be safe my friend and remember we all hope you have a wonderful, safe, and enlightening vision quest^^

    Lots of love bro^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow man!!! thanks for posting the link todily! def will be keeping up with this. hope you get a lot of pics dan. keep us abreast...or an arse!
    love peas and hairgrease!

    ReplyDelete
  5. epic journey for sure. Roads are for journeys, not destinaions. whaddaya got on playlist? some journey, i hope!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you go to GA, then I will try to put you in touch with some people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dan - Look it you keepin it real! Ride by day, blog by night:) Lookin forward to seeing a few pics too.

    Uncle Joe

    ReplyDelete