Monday, May 16, 2011

Snow to Desert

Monday, May 16th

I woke up Monday morning to another unseasonably cold and cloudy day.  I was off to Red Rocks, a place I'd always wanted to see a concert, and about a 30 minute drive from Ryan's house, enroute to Utah.

Red Rocks is a beautiful place on it's own, and must be an unbelievable place to see a concert.  To my surprise, there were quite a few people there working out and running the stairs of the amphitheater.  I stood on stage and imagined all the people that have stood in the same spot and played music to thousands of screaming fans that adore them, and what they must have felt like playing to thousands of screaming fans.  I'll have to come back to Red Rocks for a concert some day.





The walk into the venue


View from the stage

I had originally planned on going to Yellowstone next.  But it was snowing in Yellowstone, so I re-routed to Utah, based on the suggestion of Kate's husband, Mike.  Thanks, Mike.  So I jumped on I-70 west and head for Arches National Park, in Moab, UT.  As I got on 70, the clouds parted and I enjoyed a crisp, blue sky.  What a feeling being on a motorcycle driving past snow-capped mountain peak after peak.  70 follows the Colorado river.  I had to stop at a rest stop to surrounded by mountains, and where the CO river rushed by them.  It was a stunning setting to take a break. 





Mountain faded to rock shelves and desert.  As I crossed the border into Utah, my arch enemy slapped me hard in the face to remind me he still existed.  Wind.  I dropped down 191 south and it was another beautiful ride into Moab, which is just outside of Arches National Park.  It's a cool town with a "we love doing outdoor activities" feeling.  Lots of jacked up Jeeps with huge tires, signs for rafting trips, skydiving, and other ways of experiencing the naturally beautiful surroundings.  I like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment