Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Road Back Home....er...Hotel

May 12th, 2011

It was cold and rainy when I woke up excited to see Mt. Rushmore, a measely 80 miles from Wall.  Determined to see it today, I packed up the bike and set out.  After 7 miles of cold, piercing rain, I turned around and held my head in shame as I returned to the hotel I had spent the night before in, and asked for my room back.  The receptionist said she thought I was a little crazy for trying to leave in the first place.  

I'd like to note that the conditions for riding WERE terrible.  But, instead of taking 90, and risking being passed by 18 wheelers and speeding cars in already bad conditions, I found a way with no interstate travel that led to Mt. Rushmore.  The 7 miles I drove were on that road, which was nicely paved....until it turned to dirt, which is when I thought I should stay in Wall one more day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dan!
    I was about to hit the sack but just noticed your posts popping up in Blogger. It was fascinating to follow along. It finally stopped raining here and, dare I say, we might have 3 days of sunshine in a row! When the sun poked out, everyone ran to the windows to look and revel in its light.

    Looking forward to seeing the pics!
    We're with you in spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan- you can link your posts to Facebook, if you want to.

    ReplyDelete