Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Batting .450

May 10th, 2011

I left Chicago and aimed for Omaha, Nebraska enroute to Badlands National Park and Mt. Rushmore in South Dakota.  Western Illinios left me beat up with high winds and some rain, but I finally felt the warmth of the sun in Iowa.  How nice it was to finally be hot!  The wind, which I had come to hate, had now become my friend cooling me off.  After 344 miles, I stopped in Des Moines, Iowa for the night. 

The next day, tired of traveling on the interstate, I took a route that led me north and west through Iowa heading for South Dakota.  The weather was my friend, providing me with a hot sunny day, as I had hoped everyday of my journey would be.  Iowa is quite a nice place, with rolling hills of corn fields, but after hours of seeing what seem to be the same rolling hills of corn fields, I couldn't wait for a change of scenery.   If you have high blood pressure, I'd recommend moving there.  You'll soon have low blood pressure and a pulse that moves at the pace of a fat kid climbing the rope in gym class.  (no offense to fat kids, or ropes in gym class)




South Dakota was a breath of fresh air, and breathed new life into the day's ride.  Green grass and cattle broke the site of monotonous corn fields.  I stopped in Tea, SD, just outside of Sioux Falls for a break.  Seemed like a great place to live, with well-kept homes, soccer moms, and lots of motorcycles driving around town.

I jumped on 90 west to make it as close to the Badlands as I could.  It felt like living.  I wish I had a shotgun strapped to my bike as I felt like a cowboy riding into the sunset.  I felt elation, true joy, for the first time on the trip.

Along 90, you can't help but notice the many billboards advertising the Corn Palace.  When the exit for it finally came, I couldn't help but stop and see what all the fuss was about.  So I stopped in Mitchell, a town with an old west feel, to see the famed Corn Palace.  Yup, it was a palace made of corn.  And it was closed, so I couldn't go in.  Ok, moving on.




I pressed on trying to reach the 500 mile mark for the day, but after 450 miles, the sun setting, and towns 100 miles apart, I exited the highway where a Best Western Hotel signed called my name.  3 miles north of 90, in Chamberlain, SD, I crested a hill and was in shock and awe at what lay before me.  Beyond rolling green hills, the Missouri river was the backdrop for the town of Chamberlain, also a town with an old west feel.  The Missouri river was an unexpected site.  What a great little town tucked up against the river!  This is the kind of unexpected discovery I had been hoping for.  Chamberlain is a fine place to live....for one night, anyways.




So even though I didn't hit the 500 mark, batting .450 ain't bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment