Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Arches Provide Good Support

Tuesday, May 17th

My plan for the day was to check out Arches National Park early, then head north to Salt Lake City on my way to my first corner, Seattle. 

Of course it was raining when I woke up.  I asked for a late check out in the hopes the rain would stop.  Which it finally did at noon.  Clyde and I took advantage of the break in the rain and went to Arches National Park.   It's hard to put into words what I saw.  Petrified sand dunes, red rock, rocks sitting on top of other rocks that look like they should fall over but don't, and naturally formed rock arches.  The park service is quick to point out that the park has been used by Hollywood for several movies.  The famous scene in Thelma and Louise when they drive up to the canyon, and most recently 127 Hours, where the actual event took place.





I spent a lot more time than I had planned there because it was such a cool place.  It was late in the afternoon, the weather was threatening rain again, so I decided to spend another night there. 

Bad decision.  The next day.  Thunderstorms.  So I stayed another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment