Tuesday, May 24, 2011

$1000 Canyon

Tuesday, May 24th

The sixty miles from Williams to the Grand Canyon was a bit chilly and cloudy.  Par for the course on this trip.  But I was too excited to let it bother me. 

I made it to the South Rim entrance, parked and went to the check out the visitors center.  Knowing that the actual canyon was so close, I couldn't concetrate on anything in the visitor's center, and quickly left to see what I came to see.  As I approached to view point, wow, just wow.  Words cannot describe it, nor can pictures.  You have to see it in person.  I stood and just let it all soak in. 




I drove along the south rim and stopped at several view points absolutely amazed at what I saw every time!

In awe, I pointed south and head for Phoenix to meet up with another friend I had made in Korea!  The drive leaving the Grand Canyon was stunning, and aside from strong winds, it was a great drive.  Near Flagstaff it was a little chilly, but the chilly mountain scenery gave way to desert the further I went south.  Luckily, I-17 south is in better condition than the rest of the Arizona roads I'd traveled so far.

I arrived at Karen's house in the evening!  Great to see another friend that I'd met in a far off land!

Phoenix is hot and sunny!  Off to the pool.

On Wednesday I met two friends from high school I hadn't seen since college.  We went out to old town Scottsdale, which I really liked.  Good times with old friends!

Thursday I went to a Harley dealership to get the first oil change of the trip, and after relaxed by the pool. 

Phoenix was great and I could see myself building a life there some day.  Thanks to Karen, her brother and his family for their above and beyond hospitality!  And Lara and Kathleen for showing me Scottsdale!

2 comments:

  1. The Grand Canyon! I was there in the summer of 1993. You are so right, words and pictures just can't describe it adequately! The view makes the cold wind feel like a warm breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True story I drank beers with former Oakland A's outfielder. Dave Henderson in Scottsdale in 1998.
    I tazed him too. He asked me to. On the forearm.

    ReplyDelete