Monday, August 1, 2011

License Plates Don't Lie

Thursday, July 21st

Although it was difficult to shake the anger I had for Canada, I woke up in good spirits, knowing I could take my time getting to Buffalo in time to see my friends on Saturday.  I took the back roads through Maine and into New Hampshire on Route 2 hugging the northern edge of the White Mountains.  It was sunny most of the day, with high winds and dark clouds always just around the corner, but never quite taking up residence where I was driving.  The threat was always there, but it never did storm.

I made my way into Vermont, the Evergreen State, as the license plates tell you.  License plates don't lie.  It is very green, and a great state for driving.  The roads could be smoother, but the scenery more than makes up for it.  Lush greenery surrounds you.  Roads follow rivers.  I couldn't help but think of Easy Rider.  The last shot in the movie is taken from a helicopter as it ascends.  You see a road next to a river.  In the commentary on the DVD,  Peter Fonda says that the road that man built and the road that God built are side by side.  I always find it more enjoyable to be on a road that follows nature as best as possible, instead of being on a road that nature was obviously destroyed for.  Some roads or highways just look unnatural in the path that was cleared for them.  I was happy to be driving through Vermont, and thought of Ben and Jerry happily making their ice cream here in a renovated gas station in the early 80's.




I stopped in Montpelier for the night in what was one of the friendliest, cleanest hotels I'd been in on my trip.  Ten minutes after I was in my room, I got a phone call.  "Hi Mr. O'Malley.  Is everything to your liking?  Is there anything you need?"  Hmmm.....maybe some ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment