Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Just Like a Woman

Wednesday, June 1st

My goal today was to get to San Fransisco.  My original plan was to drive down the entire west coast on the coastal road.  But since I am now going north, I decided to take the inland I-5 to San Fran, and then drive the coastal road of Oregon.  As I headed up I-5, a friend texted me and said I absolutely should drive up the coast.  So I drove 80 miles due west to hit the coastal rode and drive up the coast of California.  That was a nice ride!  Rolling green fields, and I even saw some buffalo!  That was unexpected.  I made it to the 1, and started driving up the coast.  What a stunning drive that is, and I was glad I listed to my friend's recommendation.  I watched waves crash on beaches and smelled the sea as I made my way up the coast.  However, 40 miles south of Big Sur, my destination for the day, and just as the driving got really good, now along a cliff's edge with the sea hundreds of feet below, the road was closed.  Just like a woman.  Beautiful, and as you get further and further, and things start to get really good, she makes you stop. 






I drove 15 miles back in the direction I came from and got a hotel for the night, which was right on the coast and a great place to rest for the night.  The next day I drove south a bit further to catch a road that went east to the 101, so I could continue north to San Fransicso.  Rolling into San Fran is quite a site.  House upon house built into the steep hills.  It must have been quite difficult to build this city.  An engineering feat.  I drove through Golden Gate park and then head straight for the Golden Gate bridge.  Another engineering feat.  I won't mention the fact that it's not golden, nor a gate. 



I checked into a hotel and checked the weather for the next day.  A storm was coming.  And it looked like I would only have one night in San Fran, unless I wanted to be there for several days watching it rain.  The next morning I jumped on my bike, checked out the famous Lombard Street, then drove across the Golden Gate bridge and headed out of beautiful San Francicso!



I drove up the coast, again amazed at the scenery.  My joy at the scenery was dampened by a light rain that was constant all day.  I was getting pretty tired from the trip, and the time alone to think may have been getting to me, so I didn't get as far as I would have liked, taking lots of breaks.  I did see some Elk, which I had never seen before.  After 281 miles I grabbed a room in Eureka.  How can you not say that city name with out an exclamation point.  Eureka!

No comments:

Post a Comment